Friday, August 24, 2007

Now that that's done.

Hey guess what, yea we got rained on again. In talking to other riders the weather has really taken a lot out of people. On our way here from Kansas city the weather went from 90' and sunny to 70' and a downpour in about 10miles.

Well we are in, scored and packing for the second leg. Both of us shipped a box here with a change of clothes and more food. It's a good thing too because my current stuff is wet and staaanky. By the time I get home I'll be SOOOO ready to enjoy something other than Cliff Bars, Almonds, and tuna at night. I will however have to talk to my boss because I'm getting really comfortable wearing bicycle shorts every day. Maybe I can get them classified as "Corporate Casual"

It's amazing how fast thing change. Wednesday I was dissapointed because when I added our points up we were going to be about 4,500 below where I wanted to be going onto the second leg. Today we grabbed the second of the two bonus location that we had intended on dropping (this time management stuff is next to impossible). By doing that we ended up 500 OVER. It doesn't sound like a lot but any little bit helps.

Luckily both of us walked away from the scoring table without leaving any points on it. What that means is we went to the scoring table with X-number of points documented and we walked away with X given to us. You get points taken away for things like not having an odometer number on your points sheet, having a bad picture, losing a receipt (you get the idea).

Right now the bikes are prepped and waiting for whatever comes next. Mine had a new rear tire put on it and the oil changed and Karol's had the oil changed and her broken mount fixed (thanks to Ryan Manley). Actually my rear tire is still in great shape but I don't know what the next leg will bring so I'll be carting the one they just took off back home with me.

We have to be down at a riders meeting at 4am where they will give us our packets for the next leg and go over any rule changes or notes. After that everyone will make a mad dash to their rooms, flip on the Do Not Disturb signs, and star planning. I'm guessing housekeeping isn't going to be happy about 100 rooms with DND signs on the doors until 9 or 10.

I don't know if I updated the fact that the EASY button is now working but unfortunately my XM radio is still dead. Evidently when Garmin says that the GPS is waterproof they don't include the connectors. Right now mine is very corroded and I'm guessing it's just a contact thing but after cleaning it twice already I'm not getting any farther.

Time to get back to prep and get some shut eye before the wakeup call comes in. Tomorrow could be a very long day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on the second leg!!!
Al & Gail

Unknown said...

Best of luck on leg 2. Hope you get to stay dry on this one.

Dave