Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Math is Hard..

First off, thanks for all the cool comments from everyone. Amy's been reading them to me as they come in.

If you haven't been reading the official IBA updates you should take a look at them. They have all kinds of cool and fun information. Yesterdays update had some info about the one bonus I went to.

"Several riders commented on what a nice ride it was to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. Rebecca Vaughn referred to it as "A pretty hellish little road." (The fact that it was 18,567 points should have been a clue.) Curt Gran had an especially nice ride up and down the mountain. He had a flat tire on the way up and dropped his bike on the way back down.
Mike Hutsal reported that the road to Bristlecone shook the windshield off his K1200GT. That's my old bike, the same one I used to scout the Bristlecone bonus in 2003; the windshield fell off before I got to the top. That's the road that convinced me to buy a GS for scouting Iron Butt Rally bonuses.
Brett Donahue found an even worse road to get back from Bristlecone. He let "Betty the Bitch" from his Garmin GPS route him down a goat trail called Silver Canyon Road. Brett knew he was in trouble when he got to the sign that said, "Four Wheel Drive Recommended After This Point." Six stream crossings later, he finally got back to pavement. "

That made me feel better knowing that it wasn't just me that wasn't too crazy about the road.

The last couple nights it's been hard to add up where we are in the points. Math is hard when you are tired and both of us have been coming up with different numbers every time. Hell, today one of the numbers I came up with was DOUBLE what we needed to finish.

I was happy to see that our hard charging two days had given up positive progress. As of now we have enough points to be considered finishers. That means it's time to try and better our position.

We're heading East again as soon as the sun comes up and we grab a daylight bonus here in Sacramento. We've got two days to get back to St. Louis and the route we have planned will hopefully grab us a few more points. Right now the priority is getting back and doing it before they start deduting points.

Ride on!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys are the best. Just two days to finish. Wow you guys are my heroes. With the weather and gadgets failing you two just pushed right on. Good riding so far now a strong safe finish.

Anonymous said...

1300 miles to go until the finish. both of you have rode a wonderful rally. You have ridden in the elements, ridden through gadget malfunctions, and have ridden through the pain. I can't wait to see you when you get home.

Ride the last stretch safe.

Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

keep it up!!!almost done

Tony: free kind steak dinner at the black otter if you finish, I'll splurge for the 120 oz.

Karol: I mentioned to my mom about your mother-son ride, and how neat it was. She suggested I buy a decent bike(harley) and then we'll go for a lunch ride somewhere.


Mark
hodag

Soda Demoted said...

I still can't f'n believe this trip you're on! Have a nice ride home. I'll be you just can't wait to get your hands on a veggie burger.