Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Let's see....where are the maps????

Well, I did it 3 times before with maps and no GPS....maybe I should take the MNLDriders advice and go.....unplugged!

The refub GPS arrived Monday (yeah!) Ran to Micro Center and bought a 2Gig card and I'm ready to load. After a couple of hours of indexing the maps, and then transferring the maps it stops and advises it can't load the maps to the "device". Now the GPS has an error reading on it that tells me "Map reading Error-Bad format". Hmmmm. What does that mean? Call my GPS supplier, and they don't know and ask me to call Garmin. Time to buy a different card. Back to MC and this time a different manufacturers card. Same thing. On to Garmin support! While on hold, (it seems to be a standard 30 Minutes hold time.) I check the manual, and it lists possible errors. This is one of them, the answer......return unit! Ugh!
Finally get a very nice Garmin support guy (and he advises me to reformat. What...no card slot on the laptop....back to MicroCenter for them to tell me it's fine.
Reconvened at home and checked the card.....not formatted. O.K. do as the nice Garmin guy said and reformat in FAT 32.
Start from scratch and download the maps again. Cool....it tells me it was successful. Not!!! Can't access the maps. Gave up at midnight and off to get the much needed rest. Tomorrow's another day. I just keep telling myself....maps work, they don't have to be uploaded, downloaded, indexed or rebooted.

No comments: